Tuesday, June 17, 2008

PAKISTAN





I am probably / arguably the only person in my khaandaan to be in Pakistan. Before arriving at Pakistan, I was under the influence of three myths.
1. "RAM" is a bad word in Pakistan.
To my disbelief, I came to know that the name "Lahore" is derived from "Lava" son of Lord Rama. In the middle of the city and even in the Museum this is clearly mentioned and people have no qualms to talk about it.
2. I found more burkhas in Hyderabad than in Lahore. Girls are freely moving in the country and even in the late night I saw them coming to restaurents without parenteral help. There are even all women restaurents!!!
3. What would you do if you are a shop keeper in Vizag and some one stepped into your shop introducing himself as a Pakistani? Mixed feeling! Strange! I thought so exactly the same way when I was in the Anarkalai Market at Lahore. To my utter surprise, when they knew that I am from India, one shopkeeper offered me 1 shirt free on purchase of 3 shirts!

Our partner in Pakistan hosted a all vegetarian dinner in our honour. Pakistan is an eye opener for me and how incredibly similar to India! This is also the greatest example of how politicians can divide people and inject hatred.

Bhargav

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

you are fantastic!!!

a kiss for you, my dear friend!

god bless u dear

can we exchange our link

r u ready to do?